In this project I collected/ created my own sounds from around my school to stick together in the Earthquake scene From The Wind Rises By Hayao Miyazaki. I used Garage Band to line each sound up with the right part of the video.
Film Before Foley and Sound Effects.
Film After Foley and Sound Effects
For the foley process My group and I used plastic tubs on carpet to imitate the suitcases falling in the train.
- rumbling using a screen
- paper tearing-crust
- shaking pencil box- pebbles
- Ethan screaming- scream at beginning
- welding– electricity
- welding– screeching
- Belt– whip of the power line
- Clanking- train
- chain- tiles
- boxes dropping- suitcase
- Stephen’s whistle -steam whistle
Audio Signal Chain Terms
- A bad sound in the video clip will ruin the video faster than bad lighting or quality.
- Microphone–>Cable–>Pre amp Audio Recorder–> digital file
- Two types Single and double.
- Single- Directly to camera
- Double- Into another recorder then camera.
- There are certain levels and frequencies of sound that the recorders can get. If its higher or lower than them the audio clip will cut.
- Two types of audio cables, unbalanced and balanced.
Foley and Sound Effects Terms
- Almost every film has foley in it
- Foley is post production.
- Production audio focuses on Dialogue.
- Ambience- physiological cue for space- normally on location
What I Learned and Problems I Solved
I learned how to use the recorder, put a movie into Garage Band and add audio at the right parts. Created sounds from my own ideas (Ie: throwing tubs for suitcases) I had trouble trying to upload it to youtube without making the sound warped. I asked my peers and Mr leduc then finally uploaded it also to Soundcloud so the audio has good quality. Lastly, I learned what I can use to create sounds for an earthquake.